A remote Indigenous school council gathering was held in Yirrkala from 4-6th May 2016. This was facilitated as a partnership between the Office of Pro Vice Chancellor - Indigenous Leadership at Charles Darwin University and the Yambirrpa Schools Council through the WCE initiative.
Strengthening education governance and leadership in remote and very remote schools is a key foundation for improving Indigenous education journeys for children and youth in the Northern Territory (NT). The planning and delivery of a joint school council gathering provided a safe environment for school council representatives to share stories and acknowledge the challenges and successes of school councils across the NT. The joint school council gathering included representatives from:
Schools and orginisations represented
- Yambirrpa Schools Council
- Shepherdson College School Council
- Maningrida College Council
- Gunbalanya School Council
- Yuendumu School Council
- Tennant Creek High School Council
- Tennant Creek Primary School Council
- Charles Darwin University
- Northern Territory Department of Education
This included 20 Indigenous representatives, including Professor Steven Larkin, Pro Vice Chancellor – Indigenous Leadership at CDU.